Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Kite Runner


An unforgettable and shocking story that would haunt you for years-That’s what Afghanistan-American writer Khaled Hosseini's novel The Kite Runner is for me. 

"There is no act more wretched than stealing, Amir" (P.16) Amir's Baba has instructed him during his childhood days. But before Amir crossed the doorsill to teenage, he stole the friendship, trust and love. But he was not alone in enduring his life with usurping guilt feelings. Life reveals to Amir that his Baba, his very own instructor had also stolen from him the right to know an intricate truth. The truth opens a path for Amir’s redemption through a thorny path.

The novel takes place in three countries-Afghanistan, Pakistan and United States- in the aftermath of 1978 civil war. The civil war, the Soviet invasion, the rise of the Taliban opposition, the tension between Shiite and Hazara community play an intrinsic role in the novel. The political issues merge with the emotions of the characters and often secrete into the oblivion. The oppression of Hazaras by the fanatic rulers of Taliban reassembles the scenes of the suppression of Jews by the Nazis. The brutal prosecution at the open ground is an instance that freezes anyone's blood for a moment.

The Kites have a symbolic meaning in this novel. It was through a kite running competition that Amir first encountered the sinful rules of cowardice, disloyalty and treachery. That had prompted him to hide in a shelter in an attempt to forget his childhood traumas. However Amir breaks the shell of solitude and sin through a path of redemption on a final kite running. The kite running becomes a path for him to soar to the real truths of life cutting back the guilty feelings and traumas.

I read this novel two years before my life at Saudi Arabia. When I had decided to come to the holy land of Muslims, I was inwardly scared. A life at a country, which is rumored to have atrocities as mentioned in the book seemed to be a nightmare. As I got used to the life here, the nightmares vanished. Though I haven’t witnessed any atrocities, rumors still hung in the air. My shameful selfishness to turn away from danger also egg me on not to know much.

After reading the book, I also watched the film adaptation of this novel. I had a fear to watch the violence in the book in front of my eyes. In contrast to my fear, the violent scenes are shown through an undertone in the movie. Moreover the movie ends with a pleasant feeling than the book.

This novel may pull you back at many times but, as you finish the last page, you may realize that pain in life may not come in a small measure. However, if you cannot stand to read dreadful violent realities, I would ask you to turn away from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment