Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ancient Promises: Jayashree Mishra




Some books make a deep impression on us that we carry its memory even after years. Jayashree Mishra’s   Ancient Promises is one such book for me. I had read the book for the first time in 2002. Later I bought a copy of the same in 2005 for re-reading.  Even now, I can remember the pangs, protests and panic that the protagonist had undergone in the novel.

I was drawn to the book due to various reasons. At first, I saw the mention of this book in a write up of Priya. A.S, an upcoming star in Malayalam literature. When I had started reading the book, I could relate to the character in many points too.

As a teenager, I also had a friend like Leena, whom I had accompanied in many adventures. That was one of the initial similarities.  Also, I always possessed a similar will power to change the circumstances that oppress my life. As of now, I love my daughter as dearly as Jayashree loves hers! Final and minimal reason is that there is a similarity between our names. Many incidents that followed never matched in my life.

Janaki, the protagonist of Ancient Promises always stood as the model for woman power in modern India for me. While she respected and abide to the rules of the family and society, she also had the power to change her life, when elders had gone wrong. Similarly, the hero Arjun became an ideal model lover for me in my teenage days. Janaki’s and Arjun’s union definitely proved the success of love among couples with reason.

The plot is set in three places-Kerala, Delhi and U.K.  The description of Delhi is so enchanting that one would feel like walking on its streets. The description of the places and people in each area is very accurate owing to the biographical touch in the novel. 

There was a criticism that the author had sketched characters of Marars in a cynical way. But, many Indian women would vouch for such experiences after getting married into such families.  Also, I read somewhere that the book promotes extra marital affair. But, it is only natural for a woman with liberal mind to get away from a passive husband and nagging in-laws. Above all, during all these drama, Janaki loved, cared and protected her mentally challenged daughter.

Most of the readers of the book, whom I’ve encountered, seem to have enjoyed all through the pages. The words, phrases and emotions are crafted together in such a way to draw the reader into the heart of Janaki. When the reader cries over the agonies of Janaki; the author managed to add a little pinch of humour to her writing to make them laugh through tears. 

 The novel flowed like a poetry taking the glory from the writer’s own personal experiences. The writing is truly Indian, true to the heart and direct. The novel ends with a positive note and definitely makes you think of your own life.  Women might be ready to change the circumstances that oppress them, while men might ponder over whether they are like Suresh or Arjun!

No comments:

Post a Comment