Friday, August 26, 2011

Orikkal by N Mohanan


 
Who hasn’t loved and lost even once in life? The love might not have been explicit, double sided or even recognized. But, that love must have played at least a small role in our lives. Malayalam writer, N. Mohanan’s semi autobiographical novel Orikkal is about such a love that had shaped a persona in him.

Who was the owner of the author’s lost love? There is no name given in the novel respecting the identity of the beholder. She has been constantly addressed as ‘the girl.’

Before getting into the details of the novel, let me remember an article written by Tanuja S Bhattathiri about her late uncle. In that she had written about her uncle’s lost love. The lost love always remained in his mind with the tokens of love letters, hand kerchiefs and other reminiscent of the romantic period. I was surprised to learn that N. Mohanan’s wife had safely kept these love tokens for him and his romance was not a secret in the household. 

Tanuja had written, “When my brother had undergone a troublesome period after his love failure, ammaman consoled him citing his own experience.” I really admired N.Mohanan’s wife for that loving courage, without whose loving understanding, he wouldn’t have sustained his love traumas long enough to give advice to the next generation. However, after reading his autobiography I have admitted one more thing. He was the owner of a loving mind, who could also radiate the fragrance of love to those around him.

Mohanan wrote about ‘the girl’ in his life with much fondness. Their platonic love in the 1960s' Kerala society was coloured by literary discussions, first lessons of the unconditional love, innocent dreams and above all, trust to each other.  The world that they had dreamt together subsequently shattered. After drinking the pain of separation, each of them walked in their own paths holding the hands of their loving partners.

Still the love sustained! It is that love that N.Mohanan talks about in the novel. The love is not romance but a mixture of concern, care and gratitude for the woman in his life who first taught him the meaning of love. In his poetic and meditating language N Mohanan transcends the reader to this world of love, which many of might not have experienced. 

I’ve to give one more last reference before completing this review. In the Malayalam movie Chandrolsavam the already married heroine Indulekha asks her returned lover Sree, “Didn’t you ever hate me for marrying another man?” Sreehari’s reply was crisp and from heart, “Never! I was upset with myself and life, but never with you! My life afterwards taught me to smile at the face of miseries and befriend with those who had gone from my life." I never believed that such a love existed! Well, N. Mohanan’s Orikkal is a testimony for it.

1 comment:

  1. I was excited seeing this in your blog. I love Mohanan sir and i don't know how many times i read this book.A tribute to pure LOVE.

    ReplyDelete